Memorial Day Safety Tips for Your Dog
Grills and Dogs Are a Bad Combination
Your dog could easily burn himself by jumping up on the grill trying to score a tasty treat. Additionally, lighter fluid and matches are toxic to dogs if swallowed. Matches can cause kidney and blood cell damage as well as difficulty breathing. The most common effects of ingesting lighter fluid include gastric and respiratory distress as well as skin irritation. Eating uncooked food dropped near the grill is not safe for your dog either. It’s best to keep him in the house or his kennel while the grill is in use.
Be Sure to Follow Your Dog’s Regular Diet
While you may avoid giving your dog table scraps, it’s important to let other guests know to do the same. Avocados, grapes, onions, raisins, and yeast dough are particularly harmful for pets. Alcohol can cause severe illness even in small doses. A large amount of alcohol can put your dog in a coma that he may not recover from. If anyone seems to think that getting a dog drunk would be funny, let them know it’s a cruel practice that you won’t allow.
Some dog breeds will naturally start swimming in water but this isn’t true of all of them. Those with short legs and a large chest area may sink instead of swim. If you take your dog swimming over the Memorial Day weekend, make sure you’re within an arm’s length of her in the water. Keep in mind that everyone in a boat needs a life jacket, even your dog.
Protecting your dog from insect bites and sunburn is important, but make sure you buy products meant for dogs and not people. Human sunscreen and insect repellent can cause diarrhea, drooling, excessive thirst, lethargy, vomiting, nervous system damage, pneumonia, and respiratory distress. Follow the product instructions and be sure to re-apply throughout the day if your dog will be outside for a long time.
In Case of an Emergency
If you’re traveling over Memorial Day weekend, make sure your dog has proper identification. A change in routine can be both exciting and stressful for your dog, which makes it more likely he will run off. We also recommend traveling with a pet first-aid kit and keeping one stocked at home. For urgent situations with your pet during regular office hours, please contact Battletown Animal Clinic at 540-955-2171. After hours, you may contact Valley Veterinary Emergency and Referral Service at 540-662-7811. This includes weekends and holidays.
How to Know if Your Dog Has Heartworm Disease
Heartworm testing in dogs requires only a simple blood test. Testing is a bit more complicated in cats and requires several blood tests before a veterinarian can make a diagnosis. This testing is typically done at the request of the cat owner when he or she suspects the animal may have contracted heartworm disease.
How to Spot Heartworm Infection in Your Pet
Difficulty breathing is the most common sign of heartworm infection in cats. Dogs tend to have more varied symptoms due to the heartworm living in the heart ventricles and the actual heart. These symptoms include:
- Fatigue, with or without exertion
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
Once Dr. Henke has positively identified heartworm in your dog, the next step is to complete a course of antibiotics, heartworm preventives, and steroids. Next, your dog receives a series of injections over the course of 60 days to kill adult heartworms. This requires staying at Battletown Animal Hospital for observation. Another dose of steroids may be necessary at this time as well. Lastly, you need to return with your dog in six months for a follow-up to ensure that all larvae and adult worms have died.
Preventing heartworm is far easier than treating it. We carry Heartgard Plus, Interceptor, and Revolution monthly heartworm prevention products. Dr. Henke will take your pet’s age, lifestyle, species, and weight into consideration before recommending a specific product. He will also go over how to administer the medication during your pet’s regular preventive care exam. Although heartworm can have devastating consequences, the good news is that it’s 100 percent preventable.
Photo Credit: GordZam / Getty Images
Pet-Proof Your Home for a Safe and Happy Easter
Chocolate, table scraps, and any type of candy that contains xylitol, a sugar substitute, are especially dangerous for pets. Theobromine, the primary ingredient in chocolate, can cause an elevated heart rate, seizures, and hyperactivity in pets. Artificial sweetener, which is present in certain baked goods, gum, and candy, is linked to liver failure and seizures in pets.
Cats are naturally drawn to chew on grass and plants and Easter lilies are no exception. Unfortunately, this specific plant can cause lethargy and vomiting. If your cat is a jumper and can get to the plant no matter where you place it, avoid bringing it into the house altogether.
Both plastic and hard-boiled eggs can pose a danger to your pet. Swallowing parts of a plastic egg can present a choking hazard and cause an upset stomach. It’s also important to make sure that you don’t leave any real hard-boiled eggs behind in the yard during your family’s Easter egg hunt. Because it doesn’t take long for them to spoil, your pet could become extremely ill from eating one.
Since Easter falls on a Sunday, Battletown Animal Clinic will be closed. In case of an emergency with your pet, contact The Life Centre at 703-777-5755 if you’re in Loudoun County or Valley Veterinary Emergency Service at 540-662-7811 if you’re in Shenandoah Valley. For emergencies during our regular office hours, please contact us at 540-955-2171.
Photo Credit: A Dog's Life Photo / Getty Images
What Every Pet Owner Needs to Know About Lyme Disease
One thing that makes Lyme disease detection difficult is that your pet may not show any signs of infestation for several months after the original tick bite. Be certain to check your pet for ticks every day, whether he went outside or not. Run your hand down your pet’s entire body, including his underside. Don’t forget to check inside his ears. If you spot a tick, pull it out swiftly and in a straight line with a pair of tweezers. Twisting as you pull could leave part of the tick’s body behind. You then need to drop the tick in rubbing alcohol to kill it.
The following are common indications of Lyme disease:
- Swollen joints or lymph nodes
- Stiffness and pain when walking
- Change in mood or behavior
- Refusal to eat
While you can’t remove all risk, controlling your pet’s exposure to infected ticks greatly reduces her chances of developing Lyme disease. We recommend doing the following:
- Clear tall grass and brush from the edge of your lawn and the outer parameter of your home.
- Promptly dispose of furniture and mattresses that give ticks a hiding place.
- If you stack wood outside, place it in neat piles in a dry area to avoid attracting rodents that carry ticks.
- Place wood chips or a gravel barrier between your lawn and any wooded areas. If you have a patio or playground equipment, it’s a good idea to put some type of barrier there as well.
- Be sure to mow your lawn weekly and don’t allow leaves to pile up in your yard.
Have a Happy and Safe St. Patrick’s Day with Your Pet
It’s never a good idea to give table scraps to dogs and cats, but it’s especially important to avoid the practice on St. Patrick’s Day. That is because traditional Irish foods, such as sauerkraut, sausage, corned beef, and cabbage all have a high fat content that is hard for animals to digest. Too much of these types of food also increase the likelihood of your pet developing pancreatitis. Place your pet in a separate room away from guests if you don’t think they will be able to resist tossing a few table scraps your pet’s way.
Some pets don’t want anything to do with visitors and that’s okay. You should never force a pet to interact with guests. If your dog or cat is on the shy side, prepare a room in advance of the party with food, water, bedding, and toys. Your pet will likely have a much more enjoyable evening passing the time alone than with strangers.
Battletown Animal Clinic is open until 7 p.m. on St. Patrick’s Day. You may reach us at 540-955-2171. After hours, please call Valley Veterinary Emergency and Referral Service at 540-662-7811.